SOLVED

Re: Add List-Unsubscribe Email Header?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add List-Unsubscribe Email Header?

Is there anyway to add/edit our email headers? I am not talking about the top of the HTML document, but the actual header information of the email (reply-to, etc.)

I know that the Email Editor gives Me Accress to From & Reply-to, but I have been advised that adding a List-Unsubscribe Header would possibly increase our deliverability with GMail, Outlook.com, and others.

Does Anyone know if this can be added? 

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Of course, just look in the headers of any Marketo email.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Bill,

There currently are no customer-configurable headers other than the From: and Reply To: addressing you can set in the Email Designer.  However, we are aware of the List-Unsubscribe header and it's use by various ESPs, and we are actually actively working to include this header.  Look for this feature to be added in a future code release of Marketo!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jim,

is there any progress?

Thank you,

Jan

Marketo_User2
Level 1

Was this a feature that ever got released?

SanfordWhiteman

Of course, just look in the headers of any Marketo email.

Marketo_User2
Level 1

Sorry, I think I miss understood the statement that had been made. I know that the list-unsubscribe had been added, but that a user could access it in Marketo to change it. I was hoping (based on 8058 doc https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8058#section-8.3) that we could designate the on-click list-update in the header to unsubscribe from a particular list (section 8.3), not just the master unsubscribe activity.

Currently someone that clicks the list-unsubscribe gets unsubscribed from ALL our email products, not just from the list that the email they clicked the list-update is from. My dev team says that all we get from Gmail (for example) is someone wants to unsubscribe from one of our emails but not from which one, so they get unsubscribed from all.

2023-05-05_11-57-36-2.jpg

My instance has a daily run OP program that was built years ago trying to address this by turning that unsubscribe value back to false but also putting the product field for the email list to false. Not ideal. Looking for an alternative solution so I can stop this bad OP program.

SanfordWhiteman

Ah, you can’t customize that header.

Note it’s questionable whether you should be resubscribing someone in this situation. That’s your call based on how your legal dept interprets the end user’s request to unsubscribe: did they mean all emails from that organization, all emails from that specific From: mailbox, all emails that relate to an underlying subscription concept, etc. The email client isn’t presenting those choices, of course, which is one of the weaknesses of List-Unsubscribe.

Anonymous
Not applicable

With email deliverability becoming more and more of a hot-button issue, any tactic which  moves the needle even slightly is of value.

Is this in the works?  It seems to me that as much of RFC 2369 that can be implemented in Marketo, the better.  Thanks!

Alternately, a custom email header editor would be seriously welcomed and would also remove your development burden of supporting future custom email headers.
Igor_Khripunov
Level 4

I look forward to when you add this feature in the Design Studio.