Re: Accessing content from Sitecore CMS for email campaigns?

Jennifer_Burtch
Level 1

Accessing content from Sitecore CMS for email campaigns?

We would like to access content from our Sitecore managed website within Marketo so we don't have to manually create content in our emails. I've seen a Sitecore/Marketo connector offered by a Marketo partner, but has anyone implemented it OR have advice on other ways to connect the systems for content sharing from Sitecore?  We have public content and content behind a paywall, both of which we'd be interested in accessing via Marketo.  Thanks for any advice!!

5 REPLIES 5
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Jennifer - check out my discussion over in this thread: Re: Sitecore & Marketo Integration

Jennifer_Burtch
Level 1

Thanks, Dan.  I had already read that discussion, and while it addresses basic Munchkin integration, which we've already done, it doesnt address how to get published content from the website into Marketo for email campaigns.  Currently, we are copy/pasting or manually creating all email content.  Any thoughts on how to auto-populate web content into emails?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

So is your desire to take and entire page of content in Sitecore and use it for the content of an email?  If so, I suspect that would require some custom integration work.  Furthermore, the content on a web page is typically more detailed than what you would include in an email.  I'm not aware of an automated solution for this use-case.

Jennifer_Burtch
Level 1

In general, that is the idea... To be able to scrape content from our website into an email campaign.  We'd definitely need to build out requirements, such as only pulling from specific fields, not pulling the entire template, etc. etc.  While researching, I found a partner that offers a Sitecore/Marketo connector, but we already have an outsourced dev team partnership so I'm looking for anyone else that has custom integrated the two systems for this purpose and am interested in their journey and experience with doing so. Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

As in any CMS → Marketo connection your best approach is CMS (blog) → CMS (raw RSS) → Marketo. 

Rendered web content can't be scraped and sent in an email, simple as that: it will never be confined to email-compatible HTML, which in 2018 still only supports a small subset of the HTML5 feature set, so emails will not work. (I have seen people make the mistake of thinking that CMS output is email-ready and it's a disaster.) But if you can access the underlying RSS feed, you can use a product like Digesto or FeedOtter to connect the two systems without having to retype your content.