SOLVED

Ability to restrict access to certain email templates?

Go to solution
ailsadempsey
Level 3

Ability to restrict access to certain email templates?

Hello,

Is it possible to restrict access to certain email templates in the Email Editor for marketing users? We have a set of email templates alongside an 'In Development' folder in which templates going through bug fixes, design tweaks etc. sit in Design Studio. At the moment all of these are visible to marketing users through the Email Editor. Is it possible to change permissions so only the final email templates (not those in development) appear?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: Ability to restrict access to certain email templates?

As far as I can tell, that's not possible.

How about you add something like "in_dev" to the template's names and tell your users not to use these? I think you should be able to communicate these kinds of things to all your users and expect that these guidelines are being followed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Michael_Florin
Level 10

As far as I can tell, that's not possible.

How about you add something like "in_dev" to the template's names and tell your users not to use these? I think you should be able to communicate these kinds of things to all your users and expect that these guidelines are being followed.

ailsadempsey
Level 3

Thanks Michael - that's our current plan but I'd been questioned whether we could look at access as an extra safety net so just wanted to check what's possible. 

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Agree that there doesn't appear to be a technical way to do this without going down the W&P route, which is expensive and complex. A couple ideas:

1. Keep the dev emails in a separate folder

2.  Set up program templates so that your users never have to create an email from scratch. This is what we do. In fact, we only really have one main template with all the modules. In various program templates I create "shell" emails with different modules and adjustments that effectively act like different templates, but have the flexibility that then can add in other modules if they decide to go in another direction.

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
Salytics
Level 3

As both you and Michael have mentioned, the best thing to do would be to establish some kind of process with your marketing users. However, if you really want to look at a technical solution, you could consider implementing Workspaces. You could host the templates in one Workspace that is only accessible to your designers. Using the steps to share across Workspaces, your marketing users would then have read-only access to the templates.

There's pros and cons to using Workspaces (I won't delve into that here) and it can take a lot of work to set up, so I would recommend this as more of a last resort.