SOLVED

ALERT: Twitter Connection Gone

Go to solution
ChristinaZuniga
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

ALERT: Twitter Connection Gone

I've been working with support because leads from my Twitter Lead Generation Cards are captured in Twitter but never make it to Marketo. With Sanford Whiteman​​'s amazing help, we determined that Twitter was sending the information but Marketo was not receiving it. He was instrumental in setting up a way to send from Twitter > Sandy's Gateway > Marketo that seemed to fix the issue, but today Support said that the Gateway does not consistently work and the connection to Twitter does not work.

I reached out to Twitter but wasn't successful in getting help on their end and support says without their help this can't be fixed. I pointed out that Twitter is their partner, Tier 1 support for users won't help me but their product manager should have a contact within Twitter. They said that Twitter is not a partner and when I pointed out the Launchpoint page (below) they said that will be taken down soon since it's not accurate.

Am I the only one who can't get leads from Twitter? Support says it's global, but I can't believe that with this many customers people either didn't notice the loss of leads or weren't using Twitter. Anyone else notice this?

pastedImage_0.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: ALERT: Twitter Connection Gone

Hileman Administrator​ I've been in further contact w/Marketo. The only way to solve this is to use the workaround I described in my blog post (a reverse proxy under 3rd-party control).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

I wrote the original incident up on my blog after working with Christina: http://blog.teknkl.com/twitter-lead-gen-cards-marketo-get-your-ssl-cert-right/

At the time, I observed no problems other than the one highlighted in the post: Marketo was not including their cert chain, Twitter wasn't using a cert bundle that included their CA, as long as Twitter saw a properly equipped cert that fixed it.

I'm struck (and kind of offended!) by the idea that "the gateway doesn't consistently work": this gateway is an Amazon CloudFront distribution so it sure as heck works reliably. (Not that I wouldn't be proud of a homebrewed solution, but his isn't even homebrewed, it's a very commercial implementation of the desired solution.)

Now, it certainly isn't Marketo's fault if the Twitter stopped sending leads to the gateway.  Marketo is right that this was never any special integration, rather using Twitter's HTML form-based integration which works with any outside service (which, as far as I'm aware, is still supported).  Twitter's only stated requirement is HTTPS, and the undocumented cert requirement is on top of that. There are of course a lot of LaunchPoint "partners" that aren't aware of how Marketo even works, save for it offering a standard network endpoint (like an HTTPS form listener) they can interface with.

So, Christina, are you saying it really stopped working? If so, aside from rate limits, that's Twitter's fault.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Christina,

I'm a product manager here at Marketo and I'm working directly with support to get to the bottom of this issue. I will send you an Email directly also in case you have any questions for me in the meantime.

Thanks!

Reza.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reza​ / Christina Zuniga​,

Could you please keep this post updated on progress or add me to a chain to understand the outcome of this.  We utilize the Twitter Lead Gen connection not Sanfords and have been seeing inconsistencies as well.

Thanks,

Alex

SanfordWhiteman

Hileman Administrator​ I've been in further contact w/Marketo. The only way to solve this is to use the workaround I described in my blog post (a reverse proxy under 3rd-party control).

ChristinaZuniga

UPDATE: Support closed my ticket and will not pursue fixing this. According to them they could not reach Twitter so the connection cannot be fixed. Can you comment Reza Farpour​?

Here's my ticket:

Christina, we are going to go on ahead and close this case here is the final reply for Calvin

"Mike and I have tried to reach his contact at Twitter several times in the last month w/ no response. At this point, we have exhausted all methods to resolve this so I believe we should just close this out.

When we had a call w/ customer awhile back, I did set their expectation that we will not be able to move forward unless we get support from Twitter."

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Twitter is sunsetting the Lead Gen Card on 1/10/2017. It's been down for months already due to a bug on the Twitter side. Now they're shutting it down entirely.

Dan_Stevens_

Are you referring to the Marketo integration or lead gen cards in general?  Do you have a link to the formal announcement of this from Twitter?  Our social lead was asking.

ChristinaZuniga