A/B testing timing for trigger campaign

Elizabeth_Balle
Level 2

Re: A/B testing timing for trigger campaign

Yes, this is what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Elizabeth_Balle
Level 2

Ok I set this up and now looking at it, I still have a concern. Since it's triggered, it'd just be one person at a time hitting the flow, right? So how would the 50% work?

Do I need to set up a campaign to dump people in to two different lists, then have those lists grabbed by the different wait period campaigns? Similar to what John suggested, but in his suggestion, I have the same concern about how do 50% of the people actually get moved over when it's a trigger...

Anonymous
Not applicable

well... regarding the 50%.. I don't know how it works technically, yet. The campaign structure though would need to look something like below to make sense in my head.

campaign 50/50

trigger = abandon cart

random sample = 50

add to list 3 days

filter = is not in 3 days

in flow step: add to list 10 days

3 days = wait 3 days

10 days = wait 10 days

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Elizabeth, I don't know if I have any running at the moment, but I've done this before and never had a problem with triggered campaigns (even over the course of several weeks) receiving a 50/50 split. This is how we do a lot of our A/B testing since I hate that the results of Marketo's A/B tests disappear once you declare a winner. But, if you're concerned you could always run some tests with much shorter wait periods to sample how it would work.

One thing to note here, depending on how often you let someone flow through the smart campaign (qualification rules on the schedule page), someone could get into the flow and be sitting in a wait step and then get into the flow again. I would advise setting the frequency that they are eligible to once every 10 days at a minimum.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this! Super helpful!

Anonymous
Not applicable

if you don't want to use two e-mails, wouldn't it be a solution to send the email to 50% and send the other to a different campaign with a 7 days delay? that way you can use the same e-mail and look at the "campaign email performance" report, which I find more reliable than the regular "email performance"..

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Jonas, yes, you could send to two different campaigns and then look at campaign email performance. I don't know if I would say that campaign email performance is any more reliable than a regular email performance report, though.

Basically you can either have two emails, or two smart campaigns... I think there are benefits to each option but I typically prefer to have fewer smart campaigns and more assets if I have to choose one.