A/B Test Subject Line

Anonymous
Not applicable

A/B Test Subject Line

When I am setting up a A/B Subject Line test, it automatically populates the Champion with the subject line I had in the email draft. If I am testing 2 subject lines, do I just delete the text in the Champion box and create two subject lines in the Challenger section? And then it will send those two subject lines to X% and once I confirm the Champion,it will send it to the other X%? Just want to be sure I am doing this properly. Don't really understand why it would automatically populate the Champion section before I've sent out a test...

3 REPLIES 3
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Re: A/B Test Subject Line

Champion / Challenger are just terms for A / B.  You put in a Subject line in the Champion - either one will work - and then Challenge it with the new one. You run the test and it will change the Champion to the winning SL.

They call it this in the case of wanting to verify that your existing SL is the best.

Robb Barrett
Roxann_McGlump1
Community Manager

Hi Dustin,

Just a quick reminder that Champion/Challenger emails only work on trigger campaigns and on emails that are included in engagement streams.  If you try to use a Champion/Challenger test on a batch campaign, only the Champion will be sent.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

I recently did an A/B test where we wanted to be able to review the results before automatically sending something out. To do so, we created a smart list to pull in the entire population that would be eligible, then put in a Random Sample of about 5% for each email and sent it out. Two days later we looked at the results and made our decision.

Robb Barrett