pastedImage_0.png

Using a Score Field

Brian_Law_MKTO
Marketo Employee
Marketo Employee

Besides being used to prioritize leads, a score field can be used to track how many times something has happened. For example, when I first started using Marketo I used a score field to track the number of marketing emails I sent to my trade show booth visitors. Once I sent a three emails with no response our policy was to stop emailing the person.

Flow Example:

pastedImage_0.png

Notes about score fields:

• If you create a custom score field it will not automatically update/feed the default Lead Score field. For example if you have a custom Behavior Score field you will need to use two Change Score flow steps to get the Lead Score field to change the same amount as the Behavior Score field.

pastedImage_4.png

• To create a score field in SFDC, create an integer field. and when it appears in Marketo, change the field type to Score. The field will not appear in the Change Score flow step unless the field type is Score.
  • It is not possible to import a score field value of +1
  • When a record is merged in SFDC the default Lead Score field is added up
  • When a record is merged in Marketo the default Lead Score field and all other custom score fields are not added up since you chose the score to keep during the merge
  • Here is an interesting article about identifying the highest score among several score fields using SFDC by Valerie Armstrong
7 Comments
Jason_Hamilton1
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

Hey Brian,

All of these tips are great! It would be awesome if they were packaged up into mini documents based on topic.

Josh Hill​ created the Marketing Rockstar's Guide a couple years back which was essentially a bible for a Marketo user (this one anyway:).  It really helped me navigate Marketo in the early days and I still use it for reference from time to time. I bookmark most of your tips or save them to Evernote, but it would be great if there were prepackaged guides based on topics (ie SFDC) that were released a couple times a year, for the users who do not live in the community.

What do you think Scott Wilder​ , Liz (Courter) Oseguera​ is this something that makes sense and is doable?

Maybe it could live in the product docs section?  BTW if all of the content you are covering is already covered in Product Docs (I don't think it is) disregard my suggestion.

Thanks Brian, keep em coming!

Jason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great stuff. Question: Any suggestions on how to determine what should be packed up into a User Created User Manual type of section (this is something I have wanted to do for years? Should we have 'editors' - maybe 3 or so users?)

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

I think the user manual is a great idea. and it's really exciting! When I took over Marketo last year, there were a lot of product documents and videos, but there wasn't a user manual or a "start here" type of guide. I think it would have been very useful to have a user guide or even a quiz to help tell me what information to start with and what information would pertain to our company.

I think it would be an awesome idea to have a "what's your use case" quiz. It could ask questions about sales structure, marketing structure, time allotted to manage marketo, sales cycle, etc. Then at the end you would fall into a category and have a list of product docs for your use case. You could probably base the information that pertains to the categories around tags used here in marketo community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the biggest challenges with a user manual which I'm sure Josh Hill could attest to is our products change so quickly, the content may be out of date before we even publish it! Amanda Thomas​ it sounds like you're referring to a 'getting started' guide more than a comprehensive user's guide, which we are working on. Check out Getting Started​ and we'd love your feedback!

Brian_Law_MKTO
Marketo Employee

Hi Jason, I like your suggestion and will meet with Scott to see what we can do to organize things better. In the meantime, let me know you have any article requests. I have a few more things I want to cover regarding SFDC (Custom objects, fields, campaigns) but I am always looking for additional ideas

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for this! what does it mean:

• It is not possible to import a score field value of +1

Does that mean scores can't go up by +1?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Allison,

No, it just means that if you have in your import file looking like this:

email                                         score

john.doe@company.com          +1

And you try to import it, if will not add 1 to the lead's score.

-Greg