Video in Email

Video in Email

We want to use Video in Email. To do this you need to use HTML 5 and tag <video>.
Unfortunately, Marketo editor change <! Doctype html> to <! DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "- / / W3C / / DTD HTML 4.01 ...> and because of that <video> tag does not work.
It would be great if DOCTYPE was not changed. In this case we could use video playback in the ecards (in e-mail clients that support this functionality).
Video in Email
7 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
word to the wise, a lot of email clients will block the message coming through if it contains this info. I'm pretty sure that Outlook blocks the email outright if it contains the elements. And essentially apple mail is the only one that truly supports it. You can certainly do it, but it's so unreliable it will probably only get to 10% of your users or less.

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/resources/will-it-work/video/
Igor_Khripunov
Level 4
You can use alternative image if email client doesn't support playback in the ecards. I've tested and it's worked in most popular clients (Outlook 2010/13, iPhone and iPad, Gmail). Only outlook.com showed warning, but didn't block the message.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The safest option to avoid email clients blocking the content is placing an image of the initial video frame and link it to the actual video.

There is an added benefit: downloading a video can slow down the email client. The browser will be faster accessing the remote content.
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Please see this thread:

Marketo Removing Code for Image Scaling for Outlook at 125%dpi

We have resolved this issue and can enable the fix for your subscription if you're interested. Please see the comments in the idea above for more details.

Igor_Khripunov
Level 4

Hi Justin,

Thank you for answer, but my problem has not resolved still. DOCTYPE changes as usual in Marketo,

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Please see the thread and note the comments about emailing me directly with your Munchkin ID if you would like this feature enabled.

Justin

kh-lschutte
Community Manager
Status changed to: In Production