Support conditional tags in templates

Support conditional tags in templates

Support just confirmed to me that Marketo does not support conditional tags in templates. You can add them into emails through the designer and they work fine, so it's odd that you can't just have them in the template and not have to copy and paste every time.

Given how Outlook renders HTML, conditional tags are very useful to ensure that emails look great across all email clients.

8 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jose,
We absolutely support creation of responsive templates using media queries.  We also recently introduced an email scripting feature that would allow you to personalize email based on various lead attributes.  

Raj
Jose_Rafael_Par
Level 3
I think there's been some confusion. My team is trying to create a template that has a CSS button that doesn't require the user to load images in order to see. Outlook does not render the rounded corners the way that every other client does, so it requires its own special code. We've tested and retested and found that the below code works in every email client:

<!--[if mso]><v:roundrect xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" href="PasteButtonURLhere" style="height:60px;v-text-anchor:middle;width:200px;" arcsize="5%" stroke="f" fillcolor="#f89728"><w:anchorlock/><center><![endif]--><div><a href="AlsoPasteButtonURLhere" style="background-color:#f89728;border-radius:4px;color:#ffffff;display:inline-block;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:18px;font-weight:normal;line-height:60px;text-align:center;text-decoration:none;width:200px;-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;">PasteButtonTextHere</a></div>
                                    <!--[if mso]>
                                    </center>
                                    </v:roundrect>
                                    <![endif]-->

When I put this into a Marketo email template, it saves just fine. However, when I open the template in the email editor, all that shows up inside the mktEditable block is

<div><a href="AlsoPasteButtonURLhere" style="background-color:#f89728;border-radius:4px;color:#ffffff;display:inline-block;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:18px;font-weight:normal;line-height:60px;text-align:center;text-decoration:none;width:200px;-webkit-text-size-adjust:none;">PasteButtonTextHere</a></div>

This causes the CSS button to break in Outlook. However, I can copy and paste the code at the top back into the email editor, and send that out, and it looks just fine. Something happens between me saving and approving the email template, and creating a new email using that template and opening the designer that strips out the outlook-specific code.

This is more of a minor inconvenience than anything else, but it would be nice to not need to have a little .txt file I open, copy and paste from every time I want to create a new email.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for clarifying.  We'll try to get this fixed
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree. A client has just faced this issue and wasn't happy about it...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, a temporary work around is to add those conditional comments into My Tokens. It works, but isn't ideal.
Chris_Vanderma1
Level 4
Piling on here. We are new to Marketo and are trying to roll out features in our emails that would rely on conditional comments and/or the <v:roundrect> tag, BOTH of which are stripped by Marketo in Design Studio. The features we're trying to use are "bulletproof" imageless buttons and print formatting for Outlook, neither of  which have satisfactory workarounds.

Really hoping you can get to this soon as we are quite dissapointed with this not working. I have to imagine this should be a simple fix from your end of things.
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

This is now supported.  We use several conditional segments of code in our responsive email templates in Marketo.  Justin Cooperman

kh-lschutte
Community Manager
Status changed to: In Production