Standard Privacy Policy for Munchkin code

Standard Privacy Policy for Munchkin code

Implementing Munchkin code requires updating the website privacy policy for many companies. SMBs may not have an in house legal team to create the text and many companies only have limited access for legal consultants to review existing content.

Marketo offers many templates and instructions, but according to support this is not an area where they have standard text - not even official wording which describes munchkin tracking for an end user which would be helpful in crafting a privacy statement.

While Marketo probably does not want to provide legal advice, I would recommend making this available only to companies in Launch Pack with the agreement that they use at their own risk and the caveat from the consultant to review with a legal expert.

11 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

This would help alt. As an agency we have many many questions from new clients on website privacy and it often costs us money with our lawyers as the clients want us to advise on wording.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I do agree. They should do this for all regions I always get many questions form my clients in Japan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has there been any action on this.  We are looking to update our privacy policy, and information is sparse as to what the Munchkin code is actually collecting.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

...information is sparse as to what the Munchkin code is actually collecting.

Pretty clear what's being collected if you look at a lead's Activity Log. By default, Munchkin logs

1. clicks on non-local <a> hrefs
  2. pageviews (main document loads)

For each activity, the referrer (if present), current URL, and target URL (if applicable) are sent. No additional information about the user's environment is deliberately transmitted, but any HTTP request also makes the lead's public IP address and User Agent (browser make/model + some other environment info) available.

When a Marketo lead has been associated with the Munchkin session (either via form fillout, email click, or via one of the APIs) then the activities are linked to the PII of the lead. Otherwise, the activities are stored anonymously.

Sid_Patil
Level 2

Hey Sanford,

What are non-local <a> hrefs?

Also, is there any way I could use Marketo to track what people are searching on my website (using the search bar on the site)

Thank you so much!

SanfordWhiteman

Non-local means <a> tags that lead to other pages, whether your pages or someone else's, as opposed to anchors within the same page.

Also, is there any way I could use Marketo to track what people are searching on my website (using the search bar on the site)

Can you open a new thread for this different topic in Products​?

Sid_Patil
Level 2

Thanks for the super quick reply, Sanford! Appreciate it!

I shall open a thread for the other question in Products!

Michell_Bauer
Level 2

I would also like to see the discussion on whether you can use marketo to track what people are searching. Can someone provide the link to this as it did not come up in a search. Thanks.

SanfordWhiteman

Did you search under Sid's name?

Michell_Bauer
Level 2

That worked, thank you!