Last Touch LT Attribution

Last Touch LT Attribution

The title says it all. However, I feel like I should lengthen this post to make it a bit more respectable in front of its peers. I'll throw in the term "best practice" a couple times so viewers firmly recognize my level of expertise and instill that this idea should be taken very seriously.

Best practice.

EDIT: For clarity, the idea is to create a "Last Touch" segment of measures in Revenue Explorer based on the last MKTO Program they were a Success in. (Unit attribution would never divide in this case.)
9 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Justin,

Ha...I think I'm probably going to be the only person who might need a bit more explanation on what you mean in the title ;).

What are your thoughts when you say Last Touch Attribution?  
Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the idea? That the last time you touch a user before he/she becomes a sale is the only metric you should measure.

Let me drop another Best Practice, Mutli-Touch Attribution.  Why is this an idea?  If you want to capture the last time you contacted a person before a sale, ok, do it. But that's current technology, not a suggestion.

Capture every touch, then when the user is SalesWon, Add the last touch to a new field, last touch, etc. But I don't know what this type of measuring is supposed to bring you. Your customers are being continually nurtured by you, I care about the entire 18 mo sales cycle at my business, which could include 40 touches, not just the very last email right when they were finally ready to buy.

So is there an idea here?

Best Practice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed there is. Apologies, I suppose elaboration is necessary.

There are many angles by which you can distribute attribution of Opp Units/Revenue to Programs. Marketo already provides 2.5 by way of Multi-Touch, First-Touch, and the .5 with # of Opps associated with Program.

There are many times in which we may pull an Program/Opp report in Rev Explorer: to measure a single campaign after a short period of time, to measure a single campaign after a longer period of time, to measure a segment of Opps by a created/closed date range, etc. Depends on the board request and what they're asking. Certain angles answer certain questions better. If the question is: "How many Opps did this Channel finally push over the edge in Q1?" that is a legitimate question which may be applicable if you understand your own campaign cycles and the segment within them.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the benefits of Multi-Touch. We use it constantly. But it also has its own holes, such as % of attribution by weight. You're either hot or cold with Success points... on or off. That's not always the way it works in the real world. (But that's a more complicated problem and I'm heading off course...)

While there are certainly workarounds to capturing "Last Touch" with custom fields or more controlled SFDC Campaign Member sync steps in conjunction with SFDC's Primary Campaign Source, my idea was simply to make this another measure in Rev Explorer for ease of reporting.

And just so I'm perfectly clear here: the idea is to create a "Last Touch" segment of measures in Revenue Explorer based on the last MKTO Program they were a Success in. (Unit attribution would never divide in this case.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, i'll vote for that. I don't have RCA, but it'd be lovely if i did. 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Last Touch is definitely needed in RCA. We use LT attribution in SFDC (using the Primary Campaign Source functionality) and it would be great to have that analysis mirrored in Marketo.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni
Why couldn't you just use a Last Touch field that is then synced to RCA?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Josh, I'm not sure I understand. How would this work with aggregate data provided by the measures, such as revenue?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been asking support for the last few days if this would be on their product roadmap. We use SFDC too with the Primary Campaign Source functionality just like Irina mentioned above.

By the way, just to mention, Marketo's competitor, Eloqua does have this attribution model, they have all 3, FT, MT and LT in their reporting repertoire.

kh-lschutte
Community Manager
Status changed to: Open Ideas