Hoping for a lively discussion regarding this group of fields - please add anything you think is important.
Email Suspended, Email Bounce, Email Bounce Soft, Marketing Suspended and Unsubscribed
Observations, Questions, Comments and Requests for Consideration
Here is a little background - I find working with the above fields and product documentation is not detailed enough and they seem have inconsistencies or gaps that make getting a handle on subject harder than it needs to be.
There are 5 lead strings in Marketo that are related to troubled email delivery.
- Email Suspended - Set to True when a soft bounce occurs. This does not get automatically reset.
- Email Suspended Cause - There can be many reasons. This field tries to explain the cause.
- Email Suspended At - When a soft bounce occurs, Marketo will suspend mailing the lead for 24 hours from this timestamp.
- Email Invalid - Set to True when a hard bounce occurs.
- Email Invalid Cause - The reason for the hard bounce.
Here are my questions starting with the Email Suspend fields:
Currently, Marketo determines what response codes are classified as Email Suspended. Marketo sets the Email Suspended Field to TRUE and sets the suspend time as 24 hours on behalf of all clients.
- Please help me understand why Marketo does not reset the Email Suspended Field (after 24 hours have passed) to either NULL or False on behalf of all clients?
- Why am I asking? Marketo sets all three Email Suspended fields on behalf of clients. The Email Suspended is a temporary status that last for 24 hours, as defined by Marketo. When the 24 hour period expires, it seems that this Marketo system field would be updated to reflect the current status of the record. I do not understand why this is not done.
- Some problems that this creates -
- The Email Suspend field never stops growing.
- The Email Suspend field is not fully searchable like Email Bounced and Email Bounce Soft - see below.
- If a customer has Marketable Segment (Default) / Non-Marketable Segment where one of the criteria set Email Suspend = True
- Instead of marking the currently Email Suspended records as Non-Marketable
- Today this criteria will eliminate any record ever marked Email Suspended.
- In our case, currently Email Suspended (within the last 24 hours) is 84
- Whereas Email Suspended equals True = 300,222
The Email Bounced and Email Bounce Soft are fully searchable
The Email Suspended fields are not fully searchable.
- Why can't users search in the same ways as Email Bounced Soft and Email Bounced?
- Due to the gray nature of Email Suspended Cause field, the lack of current rules and definitions. And no real clear definition of the differences between the Email Suspension Cause field and the Email Bounce Soft field, I would argue that the current limitations on the three Email Suspended fields dramatically limit the ability of customers to search, target, and manage some of the most important data received from an email send.
I have adopted a work around to try an remove Hard Bounces that show up in the Email Suspended Cause field for the following text. If any are found, the email is marked invalid.
Here my current list of search terms to find hard bounces hidden in the Email Suspended Cause field
|access denied||no unauthenticated relaying||rejecting|
|Bad email||non-existent||requires server authentication|
|blacklisted||not allowed||source blocked|
|blocked||not authenticated||unable to verify destination address|
|connection refused||not available||unauthenticated mail|
|email bad||permanent failure||unavailable|
|invalid||recipient address rejected||unknown recipient|
|invalid address||recipient invalid||unknown user|
|invalid recipient||recipient not||user address|
|invalid user||recipient rejected||user invalid|
|Mailbox unavailable||recipient unknown||user not|
|message refused||refused||user unknown|
|no longer||reject||verification failed|
Other Observations and Random Thoughts
- How do bounces with the words included above get in the Email Suspended Field and not go directly to Email Bounced?
- Can Marketo define and provide the rules and documentation around what error messages qualify for Email Suspend?
- Can Marketo define and provide the rules and documentation around what error messages qualify as Email Bounce Soft?
- For clarity, consistency and industry convention please consider RENAMING the Email Bounced field To Email Bounced Hard.
- This will align with Email Bounced Soft.
- It will also eliminate the confusion of users as expressed by the repeated questions in the Community.
- For the Email Bounced field - and all the other Marketo fields that have constraints please provide the full documentation for all constraints. Example: category, sub-category, details, email address and test variant.
- For consistency, the Email Invalid needs a timestamp field, please consider ADDING Email Invalid At (date field) and have it populate on all changes
- For consistency, the Marketing Suspended also needs needs a timestamp field, please consider ADDING Email Invalid At (date field) and have it populate on all changes
- For consistency, the Unsubscribe field also needs needs a timestamp field, please consider ADDING Email Invalid At (date field) and have it populate on all changes
Looking forward to hearing the Community's thoughts.