There have been discussions on finding ways to increment the activity count of a lead/person done. The solution seems to all point to creating SOAP API. I am not a developer but by rethinking the process and testing, I have found a way that works for the instance of my organization and therefore would like to share with you here.
I wanted to count number of email opens, number of email clicks, number of page views, and event completed for each person incrementally. To do so, I attempted to mimic the way we built our lead scoring program. And here are the steps I took:
1. Create desired Fields in SFDC, make them visible to Marketo Users. The following are what we started with:
- Make the Field Type in SFDC to be Number
- Make the Field Type in Market to be Score
- Fields I started with:
2. Create desired Fields in SFDC, make them visible to Marketo Users. The following are what I started with:
- Create tokens:
- Create a smart campaign for each of the tokens. Below are examples of smart list and the corresponding flow:
If you are adding step to an existing Interesting Moments smart campaign:
If you are building a new smart campaign:
You see that I excluded customers. It is because I found it confusing and irrelevant in analytics if we continue to count the activities once a contact become a customer. It’s completely up to how you want to measure your stats.
You may be able to use “+1” in the Change step without creating and using token. I didn’t test that because I had created tokens from the beginning.
If there’s anything I am not clear or if you have any suggestions, please feel free to chime in.