NOTE: To secure your Marketo landing pages requires either Marketo SSL for Landing Pages (obsolete service) or Secured Domains for Landing Pages. Please contact your Marketo Customer Success Manager for more information or to purchase.
Marketo’s Secured Domains for Landing Pages secures any and all landing page domains defined in your instance to be served via HTTPS. Serving your pages securely assures that you’re providing critical security and data integrity for both your pages and your visitors’ personal information.
Below you’ll find the 5-step process to secure your Marketo landing pages with Marketo’s Secure Domains for Landing Pages:
- Step 1. Verify your Landing Page Domain, CNAMEs and any Domain Aliases are setup
- Step 2. Edit and update your existing landing pages
- Step 3. Submit a support case to initiate the Secured Domains for Landing Pages setup
- Step 4. Marketo Support Will Activate Your Secured Domains for Landing Pages
- Step 5. Re-approve your landing pages and verify success
Step 1. Verify your Landing Page Domain, CNAMEs and any Domain Aliases are setup
Before you can secure your landing page domains and any domain aliases (subdomains), you must first set these up in Marketo. If you are a new Marketo customer working through your implementation, please work with your implementation consultant on the landing page domain(s) setup and timing to cut over to HTTPS. If you’re securing your landing page domains for a previously implemented instance, please verify that your domains and domain aliases (subdomains) are set up in your instance. Below are some links to help:
- Edit Landing Page Settings – to set you Landing Page Domain
- Customize Your Landing Page URLs with a CNAME – to understand and set up CNAMEs (subdomains)
- Add Additional Landing Page CNAMEs – to set up multiple CNAMEs in your instance (subdomains)
Step 2. Edit and update your existing landing pages
Next, you'll need to review and update your Marketo landing pages to ready them to be served securely. Please complete the following two actions in order before moving on to Step 3:
- If you purchased Marketo before January 2016, please un-approve and immediately re-approve all landing pages last updated before January 2016. This can be done in bulk in the Landing Pages section of Design Studio by selecting a group of pages for un-approve/re-approve via the “Landing Page Actions” menu. We recommend completing this step in batches of a maximum of 10-20 pages at a time. Instructions for doing so can be found here: Approve Multiple Landing Pages at Once - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation.
- You can see the "Last Updated" timestamp in the Landing Pages section of Design Studio.
- Once you have edited your landing pages, do not approve the draft. You will approve the drafts after your SSL activation in Step 4.
- You must still complete Step 1 before performing this step if you instance was created prior to January 2016.
- NOTE: Once you secure your Marketo landing pages to be served over HTTPS, you should not link to HTTP (unsecured) assets or pages from your secured landing pages.
Between the time of updating your links to HTTPS and the time you submit a support case, there will be a short period in which your landing pages may show up to customers as a mixed-content warning. All links and emails will continue to work properly without disruption, however, and the customers are not at any risk.
For more detailed guidance, please see our recorded instructions below
Step 3. Submit a support case to initiate the Secured Domains for Landing Pages setup
Please make sure you have complete the steps above before submitting a case to Marketo Support.
Once you’ve set or verified your landing page domain and any domain aliases (subdomains), and reviewed your pages to update, please click the link below to create a support case.
Marketo login required.
- Select Case Type - "Help me setup/create"
- Select Case Issue - "System Configuration"
- If you have multiple instances, please provide us with the Munchkin Code (Found in Admin > Munchkin) of the instance that is ready. Format ###-XXX-###.
Marketo will then have certificates generated to cover all the domains and subdomains that you’ve set up in your instance. Within 3-business days, we will create a secure server endpoint.
Step 4. Marketo Support Will Activate Your Secured Domains for Landing Pages
Once we've generated and loaded the necessary security certificate(s) to create your secure landing page server endpoint, we'll notify you that it is done and activate SSL for your Landing Pages.
Step 5. Re-approve your landing pages and verify success
Once your Support Engineer has activated the switch to HTTPS for your instance, you must immediately take the following actions:
- Approve all draft pages that you edited from Step 2 above. This can be done in bulk in the Landing Pages section of Design Studio by selecting a group of pages to approve via the “Landing Page Actions” menu.
- If you include a Marketo landing page on a secure website using an iframe, you will need update the HTML to load the secure version of the landing page, otherwise the end user will get a security warning.
- Verify your pages are loading and rendering as expected. Contact Marketo Support with any issues you may encounter.
Questions & More Information
For more information, including and FAQ, please see the Marketo Secured Domains for Landing Pages Overview & FAQ.