One of the most common issues while setting up MSI is related to required Fields not configured in Salesforce. In this scenario, I will use the example below:
In Salesforce (a)
In Marketo (b)
Required fields are not configured in Salesforce.
Diagnostics Test Failed!
Note that (a) is the error notification you get when you try to validate the configuration in SFDC and (b) the one from Marketo under the Admin Section/Integration/Sales Insight/Status.
1. Where should you concentrate on to resolve this issue?
SALESFORCE as both (a) & (b) state clearly that the required Fields are not configured in SFDC.
2. Which Fields and where exactly in Salesforce?
2.1 Fields’ Name are outlined in the error notifications (a) & (b). Here:
2.2 How to locate the Fields in question?
The information in parentheses after the Fields' name should tell you where the Fields can be found. So (Lead) refers to Lead Object and (Contact) Contact Object.
3. What could be the cause?
The MSI configuration may fail due to many reasons:
3.1 Fields are not on Lead or Contact Page Layout under Sales Insight Section.
Check it out. If not, do so accordingly and try to validate the configuration again. OK.
3.2 Check if the Fields in question are available under Marketo Admin Section/Field Management
- If they are, check if they are mapped correctly with the corresponding CRM Fields. In most cases, they are not. Meaning that in SFDC, they are not visible to the Marketo Sync User.
3.3 Verify Fields visibility to the Sync User in SFDC
- Change Fields Security settings if necessary. A Salesforce Admin Role is required.
- Wait for few minutes for the change to sync over to Marketo.
- Recheck if Fields are now mapped properly or available under Marketo.
- Retry to validate MSI configuration under SFDC. OK.
After going through the troubleshooting steps above, everything should work smoothly. Otherwise, do not hesitate to contact your SFDC Administrator or Marketo Support for further investigation.