Whether you joined the NY MUG by accepting the invitation in your Community inbox or you requested to join and were accepted, you may not be receiving important notifications about upcoming MUG meetings and more in your email inbox. To ensure you receive our notifications, do the following.
First, go to the New York User Group home page, click the 'Following' box in the upper right hand corner and check the stream(s) where you are following the NY MUG. You may want to create a custom 'New York MUG' stream, so that you can control whether its updates are sent to your email Inbox separately from other Community notifications that go into your Community Inbox or the general 'Connections Stream' (see detailed instructions for doing this later in this document).
Next go to your Preferences and make sure you've set them to have emails sent to your email inbox for NY MUG updates. The Set Up Email Preferences document provides an overview of doing this, but here are more detailed steps.
Be sure that you select the Yes radio button for the Receive Email preference.
Select the 'On' radio button for each of the following options you desire.
- The first Inbox option is to receive emails for most everything that is in your Community Inbox except those items in the second and third Inbox options below. This can include MUG meeting invitations, and updates to discussions, ideas, people and places you follow in your Community Inbox. If there is more in your Community Inbox than you want to receive in your email inbox, consider creating a custom 'NY MUG' stream (see the New York MUG option below).
- The second Inbox option is to receive emails for @mentions about you, content that is shared with you or a group you follow and direct messages to you from members you follow.
- The third Inbox option is to receive emails about people who have started following you, and have endorsed you for skills.
- The Connections Stream option is to receive emails for everything that is in your Connections Stream, which you can navigate to by clicking My Stuff > My Streams the top nav bar and clicking Connections Stream in the left nav bar. If there is more than you want to receive in your email inbox, consider creating a custom 'NY MUG' stream (see the New York MUG option below).
- The New York MUG option will appear if you created this custom stream for receiving emails in your email inbox (see the detailed instructions for doing this below).
Be sure to click Save at the bottom of the General Preferences tab when you're done.
Here's how you can create a custom 'New York MUG' stream and have it contain updates from the NY MUG.
In the top nav bar, click My Stuff > My Streams.
In the left nav bar of page, click New Stream and type 'New York MUG'. Before you click Done, you may want to click the Email updates toggle to 'On', so that you'll receive all the activity in your New York MUG stream in your email inbox.
Next go to the New York User Group home page, click the 'Following' box in the upper right hand corner and check the New York User Group stream. You may want to uncheck the Connections Stream or Inbox options depending on your Email Preference settings.
Finally, if you didn't click the Email updates toggle to 'On' when you created the New York MUG stream, you'll need to go to your Preferences and Select the 'On' radio button next to the New York MUG option and click Save at the bottom of the screen.