Customers often ask about exporting Marketo Activity Data. This can be accomplished using the bulk activity API or the standard activity API.
Some things you might consider are...
- Is this a one-time or a recurring activity export?
- What activities do I need?
The bulk API is a good option when you want to get activities in a maximum 31-day timeframe. This is a great approach for a recurring extract with a start_date and an end_date. Once the file is ready for download, you'll be able to download a CSV of the data with the activity jSON parsed into columns. This approach has the following limitations
- By default, Marketo instances are limited to 500mb of downloaded bulk data per day
- Bulk api downloads are limited to a window of 31 day timeframe
The activity API is the better option for a wider window of activities "all activities in the past 12 months" for example. Up to 300 activities are returned per call, returned as jSON, along with a "has more records" flag and if appropriate, a "nextPageToken" to pass into a subsequent call This approach has the standard per- call limitations of the standard REST API, as follows
- By default, Marketo instances are limited to 50,000 calls per day.
- You may have up to 10 concurrent calls
- You may execute up to 100 calls in a rolling 20 second window
Activity Types don't change for the great majority of Marketo instances (the exception might be extremely old Marketo instances). I've created a list of those types, here Activity Type Attributes - Common - Google Sheets which you're welcome to download and use.
Activity Type Attributes are also shown to illustrate the fact that different activity types have different attributes.
Marketo Professional Services is happy to do this with or for you you, and for details you should reach out to your PS Engagement Manager who can help scope the effort.