Arm your marketing team with knowledge - implement a Smart List Challenge at your organization.
What? Smart List Challenge: a competition (usually with prizes) to build a smart list based on a given scenario.
Why? Knowing and understanding your database can be the marketing team's greatest weapon. Data might be messy but it doesn't lie. Once your team knows the underlying data, the possibilities of Marketo are endless. You'll have less mistakes.
- Onboarding all new hires. This is one of the best ways to explain your database to experienced Marketo users and to help new users understand the terminology.
- At least once a year for the entire team. Not only is it a team-building exercise, but a chance to work on new and common uses for your instance, plus a refresher of infrequent but useful scenarios.
Let's get started with 10 basic, mid-level and advanced scenarios that I recently discovered were easily transferrable from one company to another with minor tweaks for your internal processes. The scenarios below are based on an integration with SFDC and use common (standard) fields and terms. Keep in mind, in some scenarios, there is more than one way to get the same result.
SPOILER ALERT: the answers are included right after the scenario.
- Login to Marketo
- Navigate to “Lead Database”
- Find/create the folder in group smart lists “~Training”
- Add your own folder with your name ie Emily Training
Basic Smart List Challenge - the minimum basic fields such as Unsubscribed and Visited Web Page
(I use this a chance to work on naming conventions for group smart lists)
1. All marketable leads (this could be complex to meet your own requirements or the minimum fields to get an accurate send list)
2. Have been to our website
3. In Industry Non-Profit, Telecommunications, Retail (or select three industries best suited to your organization)
Mid-Level Smart List Challenge - working on common Marketo functions such as program success and inactivity filters
1. Select all those who have been to our web site sometime but not in the past 30 days and are in SFDC
3. Select all those who have reached success in a program in the last 90 days and have an opportunity created this year.
Advanced Smart List Challenge - it's time to introduce advanced filters