You’re new to Marketo. Your head is swimming after Foundation workshop. You’re lost in the community. What webinars to watch? What blogs to read? What documentation or discussion posts are relevant? And for that matter, where do you find all this stuff?
No doubt, there is a lot of information, and a lot to learn. Don’t feel intimidated. As many in this community can attest to. We’ve. Been. There.
Sometimes clients ask me how long it’ll take before they really “get it.” That’s a tough question to answer, and I try to not give a definitive one. What I do say is that it really depends on how much time you’re willing to invest in your own learning, and how much your executive sponsor is willing to invest in you.
In the short-term, I direct my clients to a roadmap for consulting and learning that has been developed over the years by our fantastic crew of Marketo enablement consultants. While clients new to Marketo get the benefit of this curriculum during their "Launch Pack,” there’s a constant flow of new users to Marketo who are inheriting a role and instance and have no idea where to start.
So, for the benefit of the wider community of marketers who don’t work with our consulting team from the get-go, below is a list of resources and learning path/curriculum that I hope will help you navigate your Marketo self-learning journey.
Note: This post is written from the perspective of the SMB consulting team, which I work on. Credit for this post goes to the consulting, education, and marketing team who’ve created or pulled these resources together.
This post is organized into THREE types of resources:
- WHERE TO GO WHEN YOU NEED HELP! (FREE AND PAID)
- ADDITIONAL RESOURCES TO EXPLORE LATER
- NOW START HERE: YOUR MARKETO LEARNING CURRICULUM
I. WHERE TO GO WHEN YOU NEED HELP! (FREE AND PAID)
This is the order of operations I recommend for getting help – these resources are all FREE:
- Product Docs (docs.marketo.com): Product documentation including easy to follow how-to’s with screenshots on all product features. It’s amazing how many of my clients never visit this resource, which is a great inventory of product features that will give you a bird’s eye view of the platform. At least scan it!
- Community (nation.marketo.com): Search how-to’s, best practices, and issues posted by other Marketo users, or ask yours. You’d be surprised how quickly the community will come to your help!
- Support (support.marketo.com): Submit a support ticket. Better suited for issues and how-to’s than best practices.
Don’t have the time, but have some budget? For speed and expediency, consider PAID resources:
- Office Hours: Purchase monthly office hours – unlimited daily group sessions led by a Marketo consultant for quick questions, how-to’s, best practices, and issues. Registration is limited to 8 per session and questions are taken round-robin style in a daily, 1-hour GoToTraining format. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Marketo Consulting: Did you know you can engage our Marketo consultants too? Bring us on for project- and goal-specific needs, purchase hours for ad-hoc consulting, or scope out new templates with our creative services team. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Third-Party Independent Consultants and Agencies: There’s no shortage of third-party help. Look for independent consultants in the community, or among our list of Marketo Champions. A short list of Marketo agency partners is on our LaunchPoint site.
2. ADDITIONAL RESOURCES TO EXPLORE LATER
Know that these additional resources exist – and bookmark them for future reference:
- Marketo University (learn.marketo.com): For free on-demand videos – filter for "online" to see all of them.
- Marketo Passport: In addition to free on-demand webinars, Marketo offers a subscription service to weekly live-instructor led classes on a range of topics. These are included in the Marketo learning curriculum below. Email email@example.com to learn more.
- Marketo Blogs: Keep up-to-date with great tips and tricks from employees and the community.
- Marketo User Groups: Find a user group in your area and meet/connect with other Marketo users for continued learning and networking.
- Marketo LaunchPoint (launchpoint.marketo.com): To explore third party integrations from technology platforms that can extend your Marketo capabilities.
- Marketo Developer (developers.marketo.com): If you’re doing any custom development or integration, go here.
3. NOW START HERE: YOUR MARKETO LEARNING CURRICULUM
This curriculum is in order of priority for a new user to Marketo, and reflects how the Marketo consulting team approaches our Launch Packs with new clients. Included are several types of resources – choose the type that suits your learning style:
- PDFs: Cheat sheets, PowerPoints, and e-books
- Product Docs: Product and feature documentation at docs.marketo.com
- University Videos: FREE on-demand videos in Marketo University at learn.marketo.com
- Webinars and Slides: FREE on-demand webinars available on our website
- Product Demos: FREE live product demos you register for
- Passport Classes: Live, virtual instructor-led classes that take place weekly. Requires a paid subscription (so no link provided below). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
And, don’t be overwhelmed by this list! Start from the top, make your way slowly through the list, or cherry-pick what’s most relevant.
A. New to Marketo
- Getting Started (Product Docs)
- New to Marketo Webinar (University Video)
- Complete these 10 quick win “missions” within your instance to learn basic core features of the platform.
- Convince your manager to send you to Marketo's 16-hour, live, instructor-led Foundation Workshop for new users, conducted in CA, GA, or virtually. Email email@example.com for more information.
B. Marketing Automation Fundamentals and Best Practices
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation Webinar (Webinar and Slides, 1 Hour)
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation (PDF, 100 pages)
- New to Marketo? The Five Things You Have to Do to Show Marketo ROI: Tooting my own horn because I wrote this, but this is advice I’d give myself if I were starting as a new Marketo user today.
- Resources for Newbies: Includes a list of useful marketing-related checklists and cheat sheets (Blog Post)
- 4 Steps to Ensuring Success Before Implementing Marketing Automation (PDF, 2 pages)
- 5 Ways That a Solid Marketing Automation Solution Can Help Small Teams Succeed (PDF, 2 pages)
C. Navigating Your Instance
- Foldering Structure and Naming Conventions
D. Content Design: Email Templates, Landing Pages, and Forms
- Content Design Best Practices
- Email Templates
- Landing Page Templates
- Landing Pages (Product Docs)
- Understanding Free-Form vs. Guided Landing Pages (Product Docs)
- Build Landing Pages (University Video, 19 min)
- Build Creative Assets (University Video, 78 min)
- Introduction to Marketo's Guided Landing Page Feature (University Video, 14 min)
- Marketo’s Guided Landing Page Template Library
- Create a Guided Landing Page Template (Product Docs)
- Forms (Product Docs)
- Creating Forms with Forms 2.0 (University Video, 29 min)
- Which Form is Right for You? (Blog Post)
- Put a Marketo Form on a Non-Marketo Page Using an Iframe (Blog Post)
- Forms 2.0 (Passport Class, 1 hour)
- Creative Assets: Customizing Look and Feel (Passport Class, 4 Hours)
E. Sending Your First Email
- Best Practices
- Send Your First Email
- Use A/B Testing On Your First Email
- Add an A/B Test (Product Docs)
- A/B Testing and Champion/Challenger (Passport Class, 1 Hour)
- View Results of Your Email
F. Building Programs with Best Practices
- Program Building Blocks: Channels, Tags, Status, Success, Tokens
- Setting Up Programs to Get Good Reporting
- Introduction to RCA and Program Attribution (University Video, 13 min)
- Setting Up Marketo to Optimize Revenue Cycle Analytics - Part 1 (University Video, 11 min)
- Setting Up Marketo to Optimize Revenue Cycle Analytics - Part 2 (University Video, 11 min)
- Note: Marketo has a library of program templates that are built according to best practices. If you don’t have a folder called "Marketo Program Templates - DO NOT MODIFY!” ask your customer account manager if a consultant can import it for you.
F. Understanding and Protecting Your Email Deliverability
- Best Practices
- Email Deliverability Design and Creative Checklist (PDF, 5 pages)
- Learn How Marketo Handles Email Deliverability (Web Page)
- Email Deliverability Cheat Sheet (PDF, 2 Pages)
- Email Deliverability E-Book (PDF, 11 Pages)
- Overcoming Email Marketing Privacy Challenges (PDF, 15 Pages)
- How to Survive the Gmail Tabs Marketing Apocalypse (Web Page)
- Email Deliverability
- Building an Email Subscription Center
G. Lead/Audience and Data Management
- Best Practices
- Segmentations (Available only in Standard Edition and above)
- Segmentations (Product Docs)
H. Lead Nurturing and Engagement Programs
- Best Practices
- Engagement Programs
- Understanding Engagement Programs (Product Docs)
- Working with Engagement Programs (University Video, 31 min)
- Engagement Engine, Lead Scoring, and Data Management (Unviersity Video, 73 min)
- Engagement Programs (Passport Class, 1 hour)
I. Lead Scoring
- Best Practices
- Definitive Guide to Lead Scoring (PDF, 54 Pages)
- Lead Scoring
J. Marketo Sales Insight (Available only with Salesforce or MS Dynamics Integrations)
- Marketo Sales Insight (Product Docs)
- Marketo Sales Insight Fundamentals (University Video, 20 min)
- Marketo Sales Insight Fundamentals (Passport Class, 1.5 Hours)
- Marketo Sales Insight Fundamentals for Marketers (Passport Class, 1.5 Hours)
K. Reporting and Analytics
- Basic Reports
- Revenue Cycle Analytics/Analyzers (Available Only in Standard Edition and Above)
L. Lead/Customer Lifecycle / Revenue Model
- Revenue Cycle Model (Product Docs)
- Lead Lifecycle (Passport Class, 1 hour)
- Recommendations for Testing Your Acquisition Lifecycle (Blog Post)
- Note: If you’re building a revenue model for the first time, it’s best to get assistance from a colleague, a consultant, or peers in the community. This is a more advanced feature that works best if built with current best practices and thorough testing.
- Events and Webinar Integration
- Dynamic Content and Snippets
- Coming soon – check back later
- Social (Product Docs)
- Social Marketing 101 (University Video, 36 min)
- Adding Social Buttons to Landing Pages (University Video, 7 min)
- Marketing with Social Forms (University Video, 4 min)
- Marketing with Social Polls (University Video, 9 min)
- Social Marketing with Facebook (University Video, 6 min)
- Social Marketing with YouTube (University Video, 9 min)
- Marketing Calendar
N. Additional Products and Features
- Mobile Apps
- Email Deliverability Tool
- Real-Time Personalization
- Real-Time Personalization (Product Docs)
- Real-Time Personalization: How to Optimize Your Website and Boost Conversions (Webinar and Slides, 37 min)
- Introduction to Real-Time Personalization (University Video, 54 min)
- Live Demo: Real-Time Personalization (Live Product Demo, 30 min)
- Revenue Cycle Explorer
- Revenue Cycle Explorer (Product Docs)
- Standard Explorer Reports (University Video, 12 min)
- Custom Explorer Reports: Program Cost Analysis (University Video, 8 min)
- Custom Explorer Reports: Program Opportunity (University Video, 10 min)
- Custom Explorer Reports: Opportunity Analysis (University Video, 11 min)
- Subscribing to Explorer Reports (University Video, 5 min)
- Ad Bridge
- Marketo Ad Bridge: The Future of Ad Retargeting is Here (Webinar and Slides, 45 min)
- Mobile Marketing Engagement
This post is a work in progress. I’ll continue to update this as I discover additional resources, and we add to our body of education. I’d also like your help: If you’ve found a particular Marketo resource helpful, please share it in the comments below.