Onboarding Marketo can be a critical period for organizations to set themselves up for success and there are a lot of decisions to make about your Marketo instance. Sometimes it can be hard to know the best way to go about it. We asked our customer advocates on Purple Select and some new Marketo users through customer interviews for their advice to those who are starting out their implementation. Take a look at some of these awesome suggestions on how to make the onboarding process smoother!
- Make learning a priority! Set aside time each week to read the docs, log into the Community at least once a day, and check out the Marketo University videos.
- Your technical set up and planning can take longer than you think. Be sure to connect with your other teams (IT, Sales, etc.) as soon as you start your onboarding so you can get the support you need at the right time.
- Do your Core Concepts virtual training before meeting with your consultant so you can ask them more informed questions and make the most of your consulting hours.
- Make sure you plan out your CRM integration beforehand. It’s difficult to fix the sync once your systems have been connected, so make sure you get it right the first time!
- Often there is pressure from management to implement fast in order to begin generating ROI. However, to be successful with Marketo, you need to map a strategy out first and let that drive your implementation.
- There are many ways to accomplish something in Marketo. Understanding that early can help you realize there’s no “right” or “wrong” way to use the platform, but you can configure your instance so it works best for your business.
- Start simple in Marketo and then build up to more complex programs. Starting with the basics can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed and paralyzed.
- If you’re stuck, take a look at the Community. Chances are, someone’s faced the same challenges before.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of standardized naming conventions and organization in your instance! Be sure to have documentation of your internal best practices to maintain a clean and consistent instance.
- Training the rest of the organization and having the business invest in Marketo is just as important as the actual implementation.
A huge thank you to all our advocates who participated in this Purple Select challenge and spoke with our team about their experiences!
If you have more tips and tricks that you would like to share with us, this challenge is still available in Purple Select, so feel free to head over there and submit your advice. If you don't have a Purple Select account set up, you'll be excited to hear we just made it even easier to sign up! Our sign in page now has a "sign up" button near the bottom on the page that allows you to submit all of the necessary information. After a member of the Customer Marketing team confirms your nomination, you'll gain access to Purple Select! If you have any additional questions, please reach out to Will Harmon at email@example.com and he will happily assist you!